Leave It Alone French Toast Casserole



How could one not love food that's entitled "Leave It Alone?"

I make this casserole so often that I could make it in my sleep.  It is a go-to when we have guests. It feeds loads of people and is fairly unoffensive as far as flavors go since you can customize it to suit specific tastes.

This is the official version, but the beauty of this recipe is that you can be very flexible with the ingredients.

For example, if I have evaporated milk that needs to be used up, I will replace the milk with that.

Only one carton of cream cheese?  No problem.

I have been known to throw in pumpkin puree and use pumpkin spice in lieu of cinnamon.
(In fact, my latest version included leftover eggnog, pumpkin puree, crumbled cooked bacon, and pumpkin spice.)

If I have pancake syrup in the house rather than maple, then I will use it instead.

We like cinnamon a lot so I always add a little extra as well as vanilla but you could use almond extract or rum flavoring and it would be equally good.

See what I mean?  Totally customizable.

We like ours with Warm Strawberry Sauce instead of maple syrup.

Even the bread is whatever I have on hand and who cares about crusts off?

So think of this recipe as a framework for all sorts of gorgeous combinations.

This is a great brunch dish, a bringing teachers breakfast dish, or even easy supper dish but not a brilliant I'm-on-a-diet dish.  ;)




Leave It Alone French Toast Casserole

2 8oz. pkgs cream cheese, cubed
1 doz. eggs, beaten
2 c. milk
1/3 c. maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
8 slices white bread, crusts removed, and cubed

Grease a 9" x 13" dish.  Combine everything but the bread.  Add the bread to the mixture gently and stir.  Pour into dish.  Chill covered overnight.  Bake uncovered at 375F for 35-40 minutes.  Serve with warm maple syrup or fruit sauce.

This is part of FPT.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Oh Ms. Jennifer...if you only knew...it's like eating cheesecake for breakfast. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your turn! Let me know what perfectly practical comments you have.